Sundials

hours and minutes etc are a measuremnt of time invented by humans, the sun does not "get up and go to bed" acording what time it is

Sponsored Links
"Time"

Real time is driven by the sun. So when the sun is at it height that is "real" mid day.

For convenience, we set our clocks (including sundials) to show a time which is not the same as "real" time.

time is governed by the earth's movements relative to the sun. i.e. it takes 24 hours to fully rotate on it's axis and 365 days to orbit around the sun.

give or take a few seconds. ;)

yes i get that, so when the sun is at its highest in the summer, ie the real midday, what time will it be at its highest on my watch?

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as "real time". Time is a man made invention to record the passing of events.

Early humans noticed that the sun ended up in the same place, with regularity, thus a " day" evolved....( early humans got up when it was light, and went to bed as it got dark, as most animals do )

As humans evolved, a day was insufficiently accurate, so hours evolved to split the day into 24 segments...(invented today, it would be metric time, ie. 10 hours/100 minutes/1000seconds )..... :eek:

Increasing demand for accuracy demanded minutes, then seconds, nowadays measured to millionths of a second.

If the universe was to die, along with all life/movement of planets etc. Then time would stand still. As I said "time" is a human invention to record the passing of an event.

Thermo said:
yes i get that, so when the sun is at its highest in the summer, ie the real midday, what time will it be at its highest on my watch?

probably, time to eat. :D

trazor said:
There is no such thing as "real time". Time is a man made invention to record the passing of events.

Early humans noticed that the sun ended up in the same place, with regularity, thus a " day" evolved....( early humans got up when it was light, and went to bed as it got dark, as most animals do )

As humans evolved, a day was insufficiently accurate, so hours evolved to split the day into 24 segments...(invented today, it would be metric time, ie. 10 hours/100 minutes/1000seconds )..... :eek:

Increasing demand for accuracy demanded minutes, then seconds, nowadays measured to millionths of a second.

If the universe was to die, along with all life/movement of planets etc. Then time would stand still. As I said "time" is a human invention to record the passing of an event.

yes thanks for the history/science lesson! :rolleyes:

i think that "mid day" or "noon" is probably a "real" time since it is an observable event. It does not depend of the concept of hours, minutes or seconds being applied to it.

right lets keep this simple.

when the sun is at its highest in the sky during the day, that is midday, in caveman "time" and also that is how we (or certainly i) was taught to be able to tell the time when you havent got awatch on.

So when the sun is high in the sky, what time will it be on my watch? surely with bst and normal gmt there must be apoint when the sun will be at its highest at midday and another time in the year when my watch shows it as being an hour different

If you set your watch to GMT and you live on the Greenwich Meridian, your watch will always show "12:00" at noon.

If, in Spring, you adjust you watch an hour forward, it will show "Summer Time" and show 1pm at mid-day.

Thermo said:
right lets keep this simple.

Solar motion is anything but uniform along the year. Indeed, the Sun reaches the highest position above the horizon with a delay or an advance of time that changes every day and has a maximum variation of about 15 minutes. This phenomenon is due in part to the inclination of the terrestrial rotation axis on the plane of the Earth orbit around the Sun and in part to the unequal motion of the Earth around the Sun, caused by the elliptical orbit.

The difference between the true solar time and the mean solar time changes continuously day by day with an annual cycle. This quantity is known as the equation of time.

Due to the above the sun will only be DIRECTLY overhead at noon, about 4 times per year.

Simple enough for you.... :rolleyes:.... ;) .... :D

This variation is less at the equator and worsens the further north you travel

Is that the old wind up or the modern quartz movement sun?

If you`se ever see one with "We Shall" inscribed on it.....and a date about 1600 I think......it`s been knicked from my favourite churchyard :evil: where my ancestors rest....seriously.....the inscription is a pun on the truism "we shall Dial-(Die All)........and I hope the scrotes that stole it do so before I do :evil:

trazor
very profound posts ...

jeeze what you doing here ..
with us lot ......lol ;)

Sponsored Links
Back