Sunken/fitted/recess mat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been in my first house for 6 months now. We chose a lovely cream carpet for the hall stairs and landing. I know I know, every warned it wasn't practical, but it is our first house and we have no pets or kids (yet!) so when else will we get the chance to have such lovely light stain free carpets!! Anyway we have be using an offcut as a front door mat but it gets dirty very quickly & gets caught on the door and is generally very annoying! I am looking to get a sunken/fitted door mat (you know the ones that have a metal frame) at the same level as the carpet but they seem to be very difficult to find (have searched every possiblity I can think of on google.) Has anyone had one installed or suggest where I can get one? Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are usually fitted at the same time as the carpet.

There are two main methods

1/ a sunken matwell where the floor has an area of floor at a lower level, these were common in older houses with suspended wooden floors

2/ more commonly in a modern house, a section of carpet is cut out, the mat inserted and the whole thing is finished with metal plates

....I hope I explained that so you can understand :oops:

If you want to do this contact the people who installed your carpet and they will sort it for you - it should cost you (depending on the size) between £50 and £120

.....there is a third option - you could have a wall to wall area of matting starting at the door and going into your hall for the first .5 - 1.0m - modern barrier matting comes in a range of designs and colours and doesnt "shed" like traditional coir (coconut) matting

They are usually fitted at the same time as the carpet.

There are two main methods

1/ a sunken matwell where the floor has an area of floor at a lower level, these were common in older houses with suspended wooden floors

2/ more commonly in a modern house, a section of carpet is cut out, the mat inserted and the whole thing is finished with metal plates

....I hope I explained that so you can understand :oops:

If you want to do this contact the people who installed your carpet and they will sort it for you - it should cost you (depending on the size) between £50 and £120

.....there is a third option - you could have a wall to wall area of matting starting at the door and going into your hall for the first .5 - 1.0m - modern barrier matting comes in a range of designs and colours and doesnt "shed" like traditional coir (coconut) matting

^ That is the definative answer to your question!!!!!!

Very easy to put in after the original carpet install and you can have it in a range of colours, styles and sizes to suit you. If you can't track the original fitters down, most reputable fitters and independent carpet shops will happily be able to do the work for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back