Laying direction for ribbed entrance matting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some ribbed entrance matting fitted in my porch. It's not an inlaid matwell type product, it is laid directly on top of the concrete floor and is like a thick ribbed carpet (for want of a better phrase), which I believe is supposed to 'scrape' the dirt off the bottom of your shoes as you walk in on it and effectively acts as a large door mat to reduce the amount of dirt which would otherwise be walked in on the Hallway carpet.

The Fitter had already started cutting and laying it before I noticed the direction of the rib. He had laid the rib in the same direction as you would walk in ie the rib direction ran between the front door and the Hall door.

I mentioned this to him and said my understanding was that the rib was supposed to be laid left to right as you walk in, not in the same direction for the above reason. He said that wasn't correct and all of the matting that he had ever fitted had been laid as he had laid it ie in the same direction as you walk in.

I do not know who the manufacturer of the matting is as it was bought through a local carpet shop. I would have liked to have asked them the question about the laying direction but is there ever a situation where the direction of the rib on this type of entrance matting would be fitted in the same direction as you walk on it?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mr M

Sponsored Links
The matting can be laid in either direction, generally I guess you would expect it to be laid accross the doorway however I did once come accross a range that was sold with the ribs running the other way off the roll stock.

In short, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but aesthetically I would expect it to run accross the doorway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back