Super Fresco and Crown Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I had Super Fresco wallpaper hung on my walls in the hall stairs and landing. About a month later I applied Crown Breatheasy Silk Emulsion. Weeks later it's still tacky - when I queried this with Crown they blamed the paper, citing Plastisol Migration (?). Has anyone heard of this term? They are recommending an application of an Alkili Resisting primer and repainting.

I'm feeling somewhat hard done by here - this paint wasn't cheap, and there appear to be no warnings on the tin about what and what not to apply it to, and my understanding from other posts on here is that Super Fresco is fine to paint. In addition I would have to fork out for primer and more paint, plus the time and labour involved for me in repainting.

I haven't approached the wallpaper manufacturer yet, but presumably they will blame the paint!

Sponsored Links
I know this isnt much help, but a few months ago I used the 'breathe easy' by crown, clients's choice and it was silk.
But I was painting it over previously painted anaglypta, and it dried perfectly, infact I did the whole house with the breathe easyand never had any problems, so it could have something to do with the paper. :confused:

Yes, I have come across this prob/phenomenom a few times, mainly with heavyweight fresco's. Seems you can press your hand into the pattern profile and it does feel tacky, screw a mirror or somthing to wall and take down later finding the mirror is stuck, (tho not solid :LOL: ). Yep still tacky several years later...

Definately the paper as like spice i painted fresco and different rooms with same paint (dulux in this case) and the fresco remained tacky...ish but rest dried perfect...
Plastisol Migration... Hmm so thats what they call it.... another term to ;) confuse my cussies with..

I think its the same thing when you paint some plastic cables with certain paints...they feel tacky..

Re coat with ordinary paint

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses on this.

I wrote to both Crown and Graham and Brown about this problem yesterday. This morning I had a phone call from Crown, the upshot of which is that they are now suggesting that Eggshell paint over the existing silk will solve the problem. They are sending me vouchers for 15 litres of replacement paint. a good result really, but I did point out to them that for a known problem like this, there really ought to be some sort of warning on the tin. Whilst they didn't disagree it comes down to a marketing decision at the end of the day, and I won't be holding my breath.

I always, always, always use Vinyl Matt as an first coat on Fresco wallcoverings.

Why ? because it is an New Porous Surface.

I do not use Vinyl Silk on anything at all as an first coat on New Porous Surfaces (Though, in my opinion, it can be done over new/bare Artex).

I wonder if this Breatheasy is simular to Dulux Rich Matt !

Third eye is spot on i have hung Fresco for 25 yrs and have always found that by painting it with matt emulsion first then with silk seems to cure the tacky surface.

reynoldo said:
Thanks all - you live and learn!

Vinyl Silk eventualy does dry on Fresco. About 3 months in the summer. Longer in the winter.

You say 'you live and learn' ! I believe Breatheasy is an copy of Dulux Rich Matt. Dulux Rich Matt CANNOT be applied to any new/bare surfaces including New/Bare Paintable Fresco etc.

I think i remember someone else on this Forum having probs with Breatheasy.

Then again i know of people having problems with loads of paints. The problem is when someone who uses paint say once or twice a year and a certain paint works fine for them then say, "Nothing wrong with the paint". However, Decorators use paint every day in many different enviroments.

One example is with Kitchen & Bathroom Emulsion. Yes, it is great emulsion when everything goes ok but when it goes wrong then it is an nightmare.

Never had a problem with Dulux Rich Matt.

Used it over lining paper (new surface) many times..lovely finish.

I used it for the first time a few weeks ago...found it very thin even by retail standards

Nothing special IMO

Zampa said:
I used it for the first time a few weeks ago...found it very thin even by retail standards

Nothing special IMO

Yes..the colours do seem to have gone thin but not the B/white. Didn't say it was special..just never had a problem with it.

Also the problem outlined with silk on blown vinyl, has long been known in the trade. I remember about 20 /25 years ago, the lady in Leyland paints was always bangin' on about not putting silk on blown vinyls as it didn't dry and would always recommend putting matt on first.

This is not a problem unique to breatheasy/ Crown or Dulux rich matt.

Growler.........

Dulux Rich Matt state that it cannot be used on any new/bare surfaces !

Why do the opposite ?

You are leaving yourself open for a counter claim should anything go wrong.

Counter claim :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You really are the biggest painting hypochondriac and doom :( and gloom :( merchant.

This is painting emulsion onto new lining i'm talking about.
Common sense is what I use.

Of course we know there's a problem with it going over artex, but there is with other paints as well but that seems to get ignored.

I emulsioned some lining today with it again and left myself wide open to another counter claim :LOL:

I would rather be an "hypochondriac" as you put it, than an Paint Company say, "You did not follow instructions".

Also, "Growler" there is problems with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, Leyland One Coat Gloss, Johnstone's Washable Acrylic Matt, Leyland Contract Matt, Crown Covermatt, Crown Acrylic Primer Undercoat, Leyland Gloss, Crown Breatheasy Emulsion, Dulux Woodsheen, Zinsser Products etc...............

The list goes on and on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back