Superquilt - Any Good?

Unfortunately Orwark, you will have to learn a little forum etiquette, when the only reason you bother to join a forum is to praise a product which has faced a high amount of suspicion throughout the industry over the years none of your posts will really be taken seriously anyway.

Sponsored Links
@Orwalk

When I - or anyone - posts questions with detailed points to answer and your only response is :

It is extremely clear that you have little or no understanding and certainly no reason to claim knowledgable authority in this matter.

I think it is you who is completely ignorant in this matter and unused to anyone asking him to substantiate what he is saying.

I have advanced several detailed points over two posts that you have had the opportunity to answer and your sole response is that I am wrong.

I think you are the fool and I think that YBS Superquilt is not as effective an insulating material as you and your advertising material wish to show.Wrap up warm now, it's going to get chilly in the days ahead :mrgreen:

P.S. I suggest that the Insulation Group of which you are the president seeks a new leader as you are evidently a very poor spokesman for your industry being incapable of answering questions put to you. Hopefully they also look at forums and may have questions at your next meeting . Better get your responses ready now !! Same for your high -powered committees question- mark, italics, BIG LAUGH :D

Three layers of mineral wool may compress down to say 100mm?

If you compress 300mm down to 100mm, then what you end up with is something less effective than 100mm, it needs to be uncompressed, it's the air "bubbles" in the insulation that make it insulate.

rigid foam is your best bet for minimal thickness, but you must fill the gaps with an appropriate expanding foam sealer.

versus 19mm for Superquilt.

For these multi layered products to work effectively, as said previously, you need 25mm either side. so now 69mm thick (some other multi foils are thicker than superquilt), then they need to be installed airtight (proper sealed joints).

It's not really that surprising that an airtight foil/insulation barrier with another airtight airspace in front of it will perform well compared to 200mm or so of loosely fitted breathable mineral wool (and when I say breathable, I mean you can blow air through it, and so you do get some air convection within the insulation itself).

That's why these products compare so well to mineral wool, because mineral wool isn't actually that good (comparatively speaking, I'm not saying 200mm of mineral wool is bad)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back