Supplementry Water Main Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could anyone tell me if the mains water has to be earth bonded in 10mm if it enters the property in plastic or can it be 6mm!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it in run in copper or other metal within your house, starting at the stopcock, then it should be main bonded within 600mm of the stop cock onto the copper pipe, and 10mm is usually correct. The same is true of incoming gas main, which is bonded on the consumer's side of the gas meter and within 600mm.

Do not confuse this main bonding with the supplementary bonding of the bathroom pipes, which is done in 4mm unless mechanically protected (which is fairly unusual).

Number 1.

You're bonding the pipework on the outgoing side of the cock, not the incoming.

So, if you've copper AFTER the cock, then it has to be bonded.

Number 2. 10mm2 (or 16mm2 in some cases) is the only option for MEB's.

6 went out ages ago.

Sponsored Links
So, if the main supply were to be run in plastic it would not have to be bonded, and if so, how far round the property until it turns into supplemetary, if you know what I mean!

Thanks

If your earthing arrangement is TT then 6.0 is allowed , but I wouldn`t because it may be uporade to TNC-S in fture and require 10.0 (or greater)

ebee said:
If your earthing arrangement is TT then 6.0 is allowed , but I wouldn`t because it may be uporade to TNC-S in fture and require 10.0 (or greater)

Could I get away with 6mm if it were to be converted to PME, but I also left the earth rod in aswell, this is not a main property but a granny annexe, the main property is going over to PME which is bonded to the annexe earth which has a earthing rod, the only reason I ask is that it is quite a difficult re-route in the annexe from 6mm to 10mm, also every circuit in the annexe will continue to be protected via RCD's

If it's PME then you should consult your DNO regarding the size of the main eq. bonding, they may have other requirements which overrule those in the iee regs.

Never mind your cock, just make sure you don't have copper running up your breasts... chimney breasts, that is!!

Rude places, houses aren't they?

securespark said:
Never mind your cock, just make sure you don't have copper running up your breasts... chimney breasts, that is!!

Rude places, houses aren't they?
. . . only if you want them to be, Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back