Supply for fluorescent desk lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got me an "Anglepoise" type desk light that uses an 11W PL lamp.

It's powered by a wall-wart (never wondered why), and the other day I managed to get the flex caught around my foot as I got up from my desk, and I ripped the thing sideways out of the socket. The earth pin snapped off the w-w and the L pin bent. :evil:

Anyway - "NP," I thought, "I'll buy a new supply, wonder what it is". Nothing on it to indicate o/p voltage and anyway, I began to wonder, why would you want an ELV supply for a fluorescent? (It is a regular PL lamp).

So I opened it up, and all that's in there is an isolation transformer.

Any ideas why?

Plan B is to see if I can fit the transformer into a generic empty w-w enclosure, or if not into an ordinary small case with a flying lead, but I'm resenting the hassle - it's an LV light, why can't it just be plugged in?

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit strange and over the top to me BAS.

I take it the metal chassis of the fitting is either earthed or its class 2?

Unless the fitting is class 1 and the joints/springs are not sufficient to transmit the earth connection over?

It'll be the flourescent control gear/ballast etc inside an oversized plug- this keeps the lamp head slim.

Sponsored Links
I have what sounds like a similar luminaire.

Mine has the choke etc in a little box at the base of the arm, on top of the round peg that fits in the weighted base. The mains cable emerges from the box to a normal mains plug.

It's not earthed - the flex is 2 core, but you wouldn't earth something that was supplied via an isolation transformer...

But ignore me, and the above :oops:

It won't be an isolation transformer, will it - it'll be the ballast. :confused:

Oh dear.

But, Scout's Honour, I did realise that myself - I'd only seen Click-Sure's reply when I started typing - it took me a while as I stopped part way through to do some tests to see if the body of the light was isolated, if the "transformer" output was isolated from the input...

I still need to get my coat though. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back