Supply To Poultry Shed

Yes I imagine its a big house which they now going to just put a few hens in. I do work at a farm near me with 5 houses each containing 20,000 hens so 100,000 hens on total. There the plant is quite sophisticated with robotic egg packers and conveyor systems.

Sponsored Links
To me a very large poultry shed would have all I mentioned. I do work at a hen shed with three or four thousand birds, and they don't consider them selves to be a particularly large farm.

Maybe the op can let us know how large the large shed really is?

At its max it may have about 300 hens

Gave in, team of electricians are coming on Wednesday to sort the whole job out. Thanks for all your answers though.

Oxia,
Great; you gave answers to questions, considered the problem, took advice and told the posters about the final outcome. I wish more people were so considerate. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Much better to have it on a switchfuse than from the house CU.

But the 300mA RCD in a CU with RCBOs is utterly pointless.
I know the poster now has it sorted but can you buy a consumer unit with duel pole RCBO's? I know you can get distribution boards, but not seen the type tested consumer units with them.

Interested as I would like to use double pole at home.

I think wylex and hager do (or at least have done in the past) double pole RCBOs in a form that can be used in a busbar based consumer unit/DB.

I think wylex and hager do (or at least have done in the past) double pole RCBOs in a form that can be used in a busbar based consumer unit/DB.
There could presumably be a potential problem fitting double-pole RCBOs (or double-pole MCBs) into any standard 'domestic' design CU, because of the potential problems posed by the L busbar?

Kind Regards, John

I've Volex double pole RCBOs in a Volex CU. Put in about 10 years ago, so no idea about present availability.

There could presumably be a potential problem fitting double-pole RCBOs (or double-pole MCBs) into any standard 'domestic' design CU, because of the potential problems posed by the L busbar?

Kind Regards, John
AIUI some brands do double pole RCBOs with a "blank hole" at the bottom and a neutral tail specifically so they can be put into a busbar based CU/DB.

I hope it works out.
Cows and maybe other animals are more sensitive to small electric currents than are humans, and over here, because of pre-existing earth currents there were sometimes no solutions. The problem could only be shuttled off to a neighbor with less political pull.

It's probably worse in places with Single Wire Earth Return.

Some people don't like those asking for advice to obfuscate and prevaricate.

If you don't like being pulled up for those things, then just **** off, OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back