Supplying a summerhouse...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna be building a summerhouse to use as a studio and want to get it powered. I may only need a single 2 socket fitting and was just wondering what would be the best way to go about it?

I was thinking of wiring it up myself from outside to the house, burying the wire in tubing along the fence then running it through the bathroom to the fusebox, then getting an electrician in to fix it to the box and check it's all ok, but I'm a bit worried about how expensive it's likely to be...

The wiring distance from the box to the summerhouse will be around 15m. In my room currently I have a PC, 2 speakers, a Hi-Fi, a Mac Mini and a Synth all hooked up to a single 2 socket outlet using extension leads. I'm wondering whether the supply outside is likely to be able to handle this, or whether I'd need to add another socket? Obviously it's hard to tell but I'm not sure how to calculate the load of everything I'm running...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how to calculate the load of everything I'm running...

Cheers

Then I'm afraid you have fell at the first hurdle and will struggle with the rest of the design needed for a project of this nature.
Please use a competant electrician.

The items mentioned are all very low load, so a single socket would most likely be adequate for them.
However the cost of 15 metres of cable is small compared to the installation time and cost, so it would generally be advisable to put a larger supply in.

It isn't entirely clear what 'burying the wire in tubing' means, but unless this is galvanised steel conduit, it won't comply. (even if it is, there may be difficulties). Armoured cable would generally be used for outdoor / underground situations.

If you want to do some of this work yourself, you must contact the electrician before any work is started and agree with them exactly what you will be doing. Otherwise, you will find that no one wants to get involved, or what you have done does not comply with regulations etc.

Other than the electrical side, what exactly do you mean by 'summer house' ?
Hopefully not one of those kits which slot together, because they have no thermal insulation, no security and will be like an oven in the summer and a freezer in the winter. They will get damp and ruin any equipment inside, and sound will pass through the walls as if they were made of toilet paper.

Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression that outdoor wiring should be buried in plastic tubing to protect it from weathering, though I'd heard there were cables which would resist damage without it.

I'll get in touch with an electrician beforehand then... I want to do most of the work myself because I know the majority of the cost would be for labor, I'd rather save the money if I can.

As for the summerhouse, it'll be a solid T&G shed-type building with a decent locking door. I'm insulating the interior with partition wall acoustic insulation for the walls and roof and fibre floor insulation. I'm also installing a motion/door alarm and fire alarm inside... it should be pretty secure :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back