Surface DPM and a staircase!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.....new boy looking for some expert advice please :)
(I live out in the middle of nowhere and its impossible to get tradesmen in to do specialized works so have to tackle them myself.)

I have a 250yr old cottage which is being refurbished. I have treated the penetrating damp from the outside, with about 97% confidence. The old concrete floor is thin in parts, pretty patchy, needs levelled and has no DPM at all. However it is actually dry and loads of other cottages here have survived without 1 being installed! I want to put down a paintable DPM and level the floor, prior to fitting 30mm insulation, electric UF heating, then bloody hardwearing but incredibly cheap percelain tiles. (Its partly overkill, but I want to do everything possible to ensure I don't have problems in the future.)

The other topics on paintable DPM's are great and answered loads of my questions, but I'm left with 2 niggles.....

All the internal walls etc are gone, but I am left with the stairs in-situ. Any advice on what to do around the base of the stairs, where it touches the concrete floor?

Also, any advice on materials?? I liked the looked of Ardex products, (but not the prices), and Everbuild seem to do all the products for everything I need, but I was worried that their products are quite a bit cheaper than other ones I saw.

Thank-you in advance, as any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back