Surrey Flange Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System - Vented indirect HWC. 2bar twin shower pump. One bathroom.

In the middle of moving a HWC and installing a shower pump but have a problem with the surrey flange. The cylinder only has a compression fitting at the hot water outlet - a threaded stem welded to the tank with a nut and olive ready to take a 22mm copper pipe. I don't think I can have a surrey flange at all as I dont think any type will fit on this tank.

The stem is welded in (ie it is not a removable fitting) and I dont fancy drilling the tank for an essex flange.

Any tips to minimising the risk of problems? I though if I come out the tank and T off straight away. Pipe down to a the shower pump and up for the HW distribution this might help keep the air out (air will have to go downhill to the pump). Also concerned about basin hot tap triggering the pump - could this be solved with a non return valve or will this restrict flow.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The man in the plumbers merchant said that a 3/4 inch BSP fitting will not go onto the 19mm compression fitting on the top of the tank so I dont think a york flange will work either.

Sponsored Links
Buy a hole cutter the right size and fit an Essex flange. They take about 5 minutes.
From memory I think it's 1 1/2" for 22mm and 1 5/16" for 15mm, but check!.

can`t argue with chris ;) but for diy I suggest re piping the outlet rising @ 45 degrees from top of cylinder to wall with a tee hanging down midway along . Just don`t ask me how to load a drawing or picture :oops:

come on nige ;)

diags_gravitysystem.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back