Surrey Flange Query

Has Simon Le Bon been reduced to plumbing? :LOL:

Why not buy a pump that simply connects to the DHW pipe - no need for flanges. I've fitted a few and never had a problem.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan, thats what I thought.
So is there any reason not to to T the pipe from the top of the Surrey F into the expansion pipe and run the 22mm into the pump?
If yes, how do I set about calculating the power of the pump I need to install?!
Thank you

I don't follow you.

Vent/expansion pipe and non-pumped feeds goes into the top of the flange.

Pump feed come the side tapping of the flange.

As for the power of the pump.... 2 bar does for most people, but check the performance charts from the chosen manufacturer.

Hi Dan
I dont want a non pumped feed.
Ive only got one pipe leaving the loft to feed the house and I dont want to install another to deal with the water from near the top of the tank.

Sponsored Links
I dont want to install another to deal with the water from near the top of the tank.

You're losing me again.

Are you saying your cold water is all fed from the mains?

You should have a hot feed to the bottom of the cylinder form the cold water cistern.

There should also be a cold feed from the cold water cistern.

Then you'll have the vent/expansion pipe from the cylinder going up and over the cistern.

For your hot water - cold water enters the bottom of the cistern and come out of the top hot. The pipe should go up as the vent/expansion, and across to the taps.

The surrey flange replaces that first tee.

If none of the hot outlets are to be left off the pump then happy days.

However, you also need to pump the cold. Hence the requirement for a twin pump.

From your postings it seems you are expecting to use a single pump to push water through out the entire house - hot and cold.

Or have i got it wrong?

The downside to pumpin everything is that whenever someone flushes the loo the pump kicks in.

Can be a PITA at 2am.

So you would insert the flange, connect the pump to the air free flange outlet and the other side of the pump to the existing pipe. The existing pipe must have a t going to the vent in the loft. You would remove or block this t since you can't have the pump output vented. You also can't have a vent on the pump input side as it would draw air. You would place a vent on the normal top output of the cylinder which goes nowhere other than to the loft as a vent.

It would be wise to work out why there is a pressure problem though, if both the cw tank and HW cylinder are in the loft maybe there isn't enough height difference between them or maybe there is a pipework or isolator or tap issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back