Surveyors wording not clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a survey on a house which I am hoping to purchase and it makes a comment about the roof which is very vague and a little concerning. The surveyor makes the comment that the roof is old and coming to the end of its useful life, does anybody have an idea as to what this actually means other than the obvious?

I am trying to renegotiate the price of the house and think this roof may need constant maintenance or completely replaced soon, but how soon is soon? I know nobody can give a definite answer but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have had a survey on a house which I am hoping to purchase and it makes a comment about the roof which is very vague and a little concerning. The surveyor makes the comment that the roof is old and coming to the end of its useful life, does anybody have an idea as to what this actually means other than the obvious?

I am trying to renegotiate the price of the house and think this roof may need constant maintenance or completely replaced soon, but how soon is soon? I know nobody can give a definite answer but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Hello there, what the Surveyor is trying to tell you (in my opinion) that due to the age of the property, the roof tiles are now deteriorating to such an extent that they will require replacement (which is costly). You may want to go back to the Surveyor and ask for clarification. You may want to get a roofer to look at the roof and obtain 3 competitve prices for the renewal. This will give you leverage in agreeing on a reduction. Inder

How old is the property? if it's the original roof then it will give you some idea how old the roof is, the survey is suggesting a new roof in the near future.

Thanks for the responses. The house was built in the 1930's so is it possible that it is the original roof? It does look very old but can a roof last 80+ years?. Catlad, I think you are right but what is the near future :D?

Sponsored Links
To give more accurate advice or a better prediction would require, at least, more in-depth description of the roof materials. Better still a photograph or two, possibly with a telephoto lens, if there's no chance of accessing the roof.

Life expectancy of tiled roof is 60 years. Rather than give a standard comment, the surveyor should have stated if the tiles are actually in need of replacement or not.

Being at the end of their life expectancy is not the same as being at the end of their life

Thanks Woody,

the surveyor pointed out that a number of tiles are missing and a number have deteriorated so should be replaced, but as a general comment he stated that the roof was coming to the end of its useful life. The home owner is going to have the tiles replaced where required but I am wondering if it is pointless as the roof ultimately needs replacing anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back