Sustainable and not-noisy flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I've been looking at various options for the floor of our new kitchen. Some like to advertise themselves as 'sustainable'. But the most eco-friendly material in the world does not strike me as sustainable if it's going to be wrecked by being pulled up and relaid for access to pipes* etc under the floor. This would apply to glued down linos, glued floating floors, tongue and groove with invisible nailing, ceramics etc. The closest thing I can think of are conventional planks with visible nails laid across the traditional subfloor planks, but they have their own issues.

Advice gratefully received!

There's also the issue of sound transfer to the flat underneath. Perhaps there's a product which could be interleaved between the joists and the subfloor planks which would reduce the noise transfer? Any other ideas?

*(Yes, I know that if the services under the floor are installed correctly they _should_ not need maintaining more than once every 25 years, but Sod's Law states otherwise. And there's routes everywhere, so an access panel in one part of the floor is no good).

Sponsored Links
Sound attenuation beneath sub floors can be something like mineral wool acoustic slab cut to fit tightly between the joists

I'd recommend unobtainium for the flooring. Just how long do you think flooring lasts? 25 years? And how often do you think you will need to lift the floor? Been in my present house more than that and never lifted a floor other than in the first year when I rewired

Last edited by a moderator:
Sustainable only referees to source , no bearing on how long it will last .

In that case Marmoleum - traditional thick linoleum made using jute and flax seed

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back