SWA Cable sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that a supplier on this site states that 4mm SWA cable has a current carrying capacity of 45 amps whereas my local electrician now tells me it needs to be at least 10mm if not 16mm?

The run is 100m and we need a 32 amp supply to run a small welder - otherwise it's only for lights and power tools. I reckoned the voltage drop would be ok according to the specifications for the cable as did the supplier.

This is going to cost me a great deal of effort to re lay the cable although luckily it's in a duct - let alone the cost of buying the new stuff and dumping the original.

Have i just asked 1 too many people for advice - i.e. 2?

Signed - a not very happy person who tried to do the right thing by talking to the experts and reading the data sheets.

Sponsored Links
The tabulated current rating is the maximum the cable can carry. Once you've factored in correction factors and volts drop this can be significantly reduced.

I've just put 32A @ 100m into Cablecalc and it's coming up with 16.00mm 3 core. anything less won't meet the voltsdrop per metre limit.

Your electrician is right.

cablecalc.jpg

The calculation above is based on a 3% volt drop end to end which may apply if the new cable was fed directly from your consumer unit and terminated within a few metres of the furthest outlet in your workshop.

cablecalc1.jpg

Personally I calculate sub-mains on 2% volt drop as above which would mean a 16mm cable

PS..Ignore all calcs in the right hand column as they are site specific

Pensdown, change it to a single phase circuit for better results ;)

Still agree though - 4mm aint gonna do it for you!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps - appreciate the detailed replies. We've put 16mm in and it's working fine.

One final question (i'm not an electrician but I thought I understood the basic physics...) - why is the cable size recommended as 10mm with a 3% drop and a bigger cable size with a smaller drop - or am I misunderstanding how cablecalc works? In my innocence I would have thought that if you expected a bigger voltage drop you'd spec a bigger cable?

Looks like I'd better stick to farming....

Bigger cable drops less volts per m, per A

The low the volt drop you intend to achieve, the bigger the cable is going to have to be!

Very laymans terms here to hopefully make things a little clearer:

If you have a thin cable it is harder for the electric to get down it

If you have a thick cable it is easier for the electric to get down it.

This is due to resistance. The larger the Cross Sectional Area of the cable, the lower its resistance per meter, and therefor the less millivolts per amp per meter it will lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back