SWA used as meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some work over the weekend on a house and found that the tails from the meter had been extended through a 60Amp fuse and breaker using 25mm 4 core SWA. It's been terminated under the floorboards (around 10m away) above the CU using a metal junction box. Three of the tails then extend through the box and straight into the mains switch/earth terminal. Live, Neutral and earth obviously. It looks neat and tidy and grommets are used etc. I just want to ask the question, is it ok to do this? I assume they used SWA instead of 25mm twin and earth as it went up through the cavity on the outside wall. The only bit I would say looks a bit unprofessional is that the cores going to the main switch are heavely taped up.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wiring needs to be double insulated so if the cores from SWA are split out they either need to be in conduit/trunking or have an extra layer of insulation added somehow.

Would the tape be enough or does it need heat shrink tubing? Or any other ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back