swapping a 30 year old electric shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been to look at swapping a electric shower that is about 30 years old. Can I swap this like for like same kilowatt shower. The fuse board is an old one, I think with one single fuse doing the whole house. So I am guessing there is no rcd protection on the shower circuit. I am a plumber by the way not an electrician.

Sponsored Links
You would be very wise to make sure you have an RCD protecting the shower.

It would also be sensible to check that the wiring and fuse or circuit breaker IS the correct size.

If in doubt, send pictures if you can.

RCDs detect an unbalance in the supply usually caused by leakage to earth (through you possibly) then trip the supply.

Modern showers seem to be higher power than old ones which were 6kW max. The wiring, fuses, etc may not be suitable for modern ones, around 8.5kW.

Sponsored Links
Thanks can I ask what rcd's do?
I don't know how technical an answer you want, but the basic idea is that they may stop people dying - by disconnecting the electricity supply if there is a fault which could, or does, result in their getting a shock. Situations in which electricity, water and wet naked human beings come into close association clearly have their hazards.

Kind Regards, John

RCDs detect an unbalance in the supply usually caused by leakage to earth (through you possibly) then trip the supply.

Modern showers seem to be higher power than old ones which were 6kW max. The wiring, fuses, etc may not be suitable for modern ones, around 8.5kW.

Thanks are you saying its possible the shower could be fed of less then 6mm cable with it being so old.

Would it be a huge job to add an rcd with it being an old fuse board. And is it a must that the new shower needs one?

Would it be a huge job to add an rcd with it being an old fuse board. And is it a must that the new shower needs one?
Not usually a problem to add an RCD - typically a separate RCD would be added just for the shower.

Manufacturers instructions and BS7671 both require RCDs for electric showers - ignoring both of them to save a few quid on a potentially lifesaving device would be rather negligent.

RCD could be added somewhere along the existing cable, either next to the fusebox, or in some cases on the wall outside the bathroom (can also be used as an isolator there if required).

An example would be one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94629 fitted into one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30350
connected to the existing fuse in the fuseboard.
However this is only possible if the existing cable and fuse is suitable for a new shower.

Other options include a totally separate consumer unit for the shower only, such as http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p29044
Or the entire fusebox could be replaced.

Can I also ask what size shower can be feed of 6mm cable an what needs 10mm? I am just trying to learn more about it, but I will an electrician to look at this job.

Thanks have you by any chance got a link to a picture of how a rcd connected some were on the shower cable would look like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back