Swapping a conservatory

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

My conservatory is crap... Too big (stupid 45 degree corners for no reason!) and really poor quality.

Currently it's brick up to about 2ft, then double glazing, with a polycarbonate roof.

I'd like to knock it down, move the end wall inwards (I'm planning on digging out for new footings) building one side wall up to full height and going with glazing around the other two sides. I'd then like to put either a proper roof on (ie timber and tile) or a lightweight insulated plastic roof.

The door to the house will remain exterior standard double glazing.

Anyone know if I'm likely to need planning permission for this sort of thing?

I'll add some photos tomorrow so it makes a bit more sense!

Sponsored Links
I don't think any of them required P.P. as they all fell within P.D.
We're in process of replacing a conservatory (which had planning permission) with a proper extension, and our application for prior consent was knocked back as it touched a piece of the house which had been also been extended. Some 50% rule, quite surprised us really as we were not extending the footprint and we had planning permission for what we'd got.

Wasn't a problem getting full PP, but you do have to stop yourself thinking planning make it up as they go along.

We're in process of replacing a conservatory (which had planning permission) with a proper extension, and our application for prior consent was knocked back as it touched a piece of the house which had been also been extended. Some 50% rule, quite surprised us really as we were not extending the footprint and we had planning permission for what we'd got.

Wasn't a problem getting full PP, but you do have to stop yourself thinking planning make it up as they go along.
Seems like you had crap advice from whoever did your application then, ask for a refund.

Sponsored Links
This was during lock-down, and I put it on the back burner for a bit too long as when I went back to him to get it sorted he had gone out of business, set up again as another ltd company, and behaved as if he'd never met me.
So I thought sod this, I've paid for the plans and put a full application in myself, and the planners came back and said for Full Planning your plans need to scale, and his didn't. So I realised I didn't stand a chance and got another outfit in to do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back