Swapping a SALUS Wireless Thermostat for a Honeywell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have a Salus wireless thermostat wired to our Vaillant boiler, unfortunately it's completely hopeless and even yesterday during our mini heatwave the heating was on full blast!! Having had enough of it I've decided to replace it with the Honeywell 5+2 wireless thermostat, as I've read you can't go wrong with them.

Will this be a relatively straight swap for of the receiver units or will there be more to it than that? I assume there will be no need to open the boiler up so I guess it's possible for me to replace the thermostat, I am relatively handy but don't want to touch the boiler, obviously?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
It should be relatively straight forward but you have to be careful when it comes to the switched contacts. They could be 24V or 240V and a link may or may not be fitted in the original or new thermostat.

You need to make sure the switched contacts are wired exactly the same with your new one.

Thanks for the reply - will this be obvious, is there anything I need to check firs or just re-wire it like for like? Thanks again.

You did not post the model numbers so I had assumed you are replacing like with like. e.g. they are both programmable timeswitch/thermostats and in particular the Honeywell has volt free contacts that allow it to be wired either 24V or 240V for control of the boiler.

If the Salus was just a thermostat then the situation would be that your Valiant's old times switch would still be in use and so other changes to the wiring would be required.

Wired links inside the receiver may or may not be obvious. If you are unsure then you should state the model of the Salus you have and upload a photo of the wired terminals.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry the Salus is the RT500rf and I'm thinking of the Honeywell CMT921

They both operate the same way so you should not have any problems.

The Salus also has Volt free contacts so any link wires should be obvious going from one terminal to another.

Incoming L N supplies are common to both

Salus switch terminals are
COM
NO

Honeywell switch terminals are
A Same as the COM on Salus
B Same as the NO on Salus
C -Not used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back