Swapping central Heating programmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to swap a programmer for my sister, she currently has a Danfoss 4033 programmer, (large time dial with on/off/timer switches for ch & hw).

The fuse blew in the spur feeding the programmer, when I've replaced it and now the timer is just giving out a loud buzzing sound. She has no ch or hw.

I have a Horstman C27 as a replacement, which says it has a standard back plate, but if I follow the guide for swapping the unit's, I'll have 2 wires left over! has anyone ever swapped these units? I tried following the instructions, but it didn't work so I panicked and put it back exactly as it was!

The Danfoss currently has 8 ports, market 1 - 8 (6-8 are N,L & E)
The Horstman has 6 ports + a separate earth connection.
The 2 wires I'll have left are currently in Ports 1 & 5 on the danfoss. (although port 1 is just a loop from the live feed)

Wires connected are a T&E feed, looped out to the boiler direct, then 2 3C&E cables going out to pump etc, there is no room stat.

Can anyone help? Am I making sense?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Randall 4033
1 L
2 ch on
3 ch off
4 hw on
5 hw off
6 L (link to 1)
7 N
8 E

You just connect like for like going by the descriptions of each connection.

To reinforce what ChrisR is saying, the Danfoss effectively has 7 ports since 1 and 6 are the same. So just put the wires to 1 and 6 on the Danfoss to the live terminal on the Horstmann.

Thanks, that all makes it lot clearer, like for like.

Just one more question if anyone knows about the c27, altough I asked for a c27, On the front there is a small blank plate over the hw light and there doesn't seem to be a pin on the back of the programmer to connect to terminal 2. Does this sound like it might be a lower spec than I asked for (possibly a c21 etc). The pictures I have seen on the web have a light on the hw.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
UNfortunately there's no Horstmann website. C27'sare common though and I've not seen one with the HW light blanked out! Sounds odd. C21 is the all-days-the-same version.

There would be a "combi-boiler" version for CH only, which I think would be called a C17. Sure you don't have that?

C27 connections go
1 hw off
2 ch off
3 hw on
4 ch on

so 2 is not one you'd need

Folding arms, adopting Chris Barrie sort of whine:
"I do believe you'll find that it will not" ;)

Thanks gents,

I have just spoken to the Horstmann Tech desk, they reckon I've been sent the wrong unit, although marked up as a c27 it sounds like I've only got a single channel unit - just trying to get it replaced. Ordered it from TLC funnily enough!

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back