switch with RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside socket (13A) that I want to protect with an internal switch and RCD. I assumed I could buy a combined unit comprising a rocker switch and RCD, but I can't find one. You can buy a switched socket with integral RCD, so why not just a switch? Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not protected already at the consumer unit (fuse box)?Many these days will be, look for test buttons on the breakers.

Thanks sparky for that. I'd already noticed these but not sure how they operate. Typically they have two buttons and I assumed that one (usually green) is the reset button and the other is what? An off button? I thought it was a test button like on other RCD's I have. I was expecting to see a rocker switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mfarrow.
It's on a spur, so I want an independent switch. At present, it's run off a switched socket with a plug-in RCD, and I want to tidy it up.

I thought it was a test button like on other RCD's I have. I was expecting to see a rocker switch.
It is a test button which, when pressed, will switch it off so can be used as a switch.
It's on a spur, so I want an independent switch. At present, it's run off a switched socket with a plug-in RCD, and I want to tidy it up.
Fair enough.
If the circuit is protected by an RCD in the consumer unit there is no point having two on the same circuit.

If that should be the case you could just use an ordinary Switched Fused Connection Unit.

Thanks EFLImpudence.
Thanks for explaining it all. My CU doesn't have RCDs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back