Switching from Danfoss to Drayton WT734

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m a newbie here and apologies in advance if I’m repeating this topic but I couldn’t find answers on other posts hence posting this.

So I’ve Danfoss system with Ideal combi boiler that came with this new built home I purchased few years back. Our boiler is on ground floor in kitchen, a large Danfoss junction box and 2 Danfoss valves on first floor in a cupboard, one TP40704 controller on ground floor and another one on first floor.
All was going well and I never bothered to look at replacing this with any smart heating things like Hive etc but recently our ground floor thermostat started playing up and it won’t turn on heating, I tried resetting, replacing batteries etc but nothing worked so I took it off to take a look at wiring and now accidentally broke the pin connectors that connects thermo stat to back plate and hence need to replace it to keep our heating going thru winter.
And because getting the same Danfoss thermostat to replace works out as expensive as putting a smart thermostat, I bought this Drayton system that as advertised should be a simple one to one replacement. However when I opened up the Danfoss junction box it has much more wires than shown in Drayton manual. Only wires I can clearly identify are the ones that are going to 2 valves(one up and one down) and 2 each for up and downstairs thermostat.
Can someone please help to decode this wiring and how do I wire the new Drayton control box instead?

I have attached some pictures below for reference -
First one is wiring in the Danfoss junction box, 2nd is 2 valves, 3rd is current thermostat, and 4th is Drayton backplate.

Attachments

• IMG_7799.jpeg
    IMG_7799.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7784.jpeg
    IMG_7784.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7801.jpeg
    IMG_7801.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The first picture is the wiring centre which you shouldnt need to touch. The Drayton goes where the existing Danfoss programmer is located.

Thanks Mister Banks! That’s what I thought but I only have 2 thermostats that are programmed individually and they are battery powered with 2 wires coming from the junction box that’s connect them to boiler. I assume 2 thermostat that came with the Drayton kit will replace them but not sure where the Drayton control box will go in that case ?

Last edited:
The first picture is the wiring centre which you shouldnt need to touch. The Drayton goes where the existing Danfoss programmer is located.
I believe the OP may be calling the two battery operated thermostats the 'controllers'.

The three channel Wiser hub would mount by the wiring centre.

You could take a L from terminal 1 of the wiring centre
N from terminal 3
And an earth from terminal 6

And then...
Remove the black wires from terminals 9 and 10 of the wiring centre.
Terminals 1 and 3 of the Wiser hub can then connect to 9 and 10.

The two corresponding brown wires (to the black ones), in terminal 1 of the wiring centre, can also be removed, to make the wiring to the original stats safe.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. This makes sense to me now. I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back