switching from MR16 with transformers to mains GU10 in bathrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been wanting to convert away from 1/2 the house on MR16 bulbs with transformers for a while as I've found some LED GU10s that we actually like for brightness etc

AND the ones in our master bathroom die too frequently
(the ones in the kitchen and home office are fine to be fair)

Would there be any pronlem have mains halogen lighting in bathrooms? ie is there any reason the previous owners went down the transformer and MR16 route for these areas (and GU10 mains elsewhere)?

Sponsored Links
You obviously do not realise what MR16 are. MR16 means multifaceted reflector 16 eights inch diameter. It does not mean 12v lamps with GU5.3 bases. Many mains halogen lamps are also MR16.

Mains halogens can be fitted in a bathroom, though these days mains LEDs would be a better choice.

I didn't know that either, but am also in the process of swapping out the old 12v MR16 halogen down lights in my bathroom to 230v GU10 LED's. I'm looking to buy 3 in IP65 & brushed metal as 2 will be above the bath. If anyone can recommend some before I pop to Walsall's?

If you are replacing/fitting downlights in a bathroom you must make sure they comply with Part C of Building regs. This deals with the passage of moisture. Yoiu do not want all that warm steamy air being sucked into the loft where it will sit and rot your roof timbers.

Also, if you have roof insulation above (you really should have) then you'll need either to choose downlights that can be covered in insulation, or get some loft caps that allow the downlights some breathing room while allowing you to pile itchy and scratchy on top.

You could of course just go down to Wallsalls (whatever that is) and get the cheapest and nastiest fittings for £2 a dozen.

Sponsored Links
You could of course just go down to Wallsalls (whatever that is) and get the cheapest and nastiest fittings for £2 a dozen.
Walsall used to make good stuff, in the 80s, there stuff was similar to Wandsworth I recall, and a lot of it used in office refurbs.
Now there part of EDMUNSON

Thanks Taylor.
I've seen the covers at B&Q to space out the loft insulation, but I'm hoping to find down lights suitable for for the installation even if it means going fire rated.

Wallsal's is essentially Edmunsons Electrical wholesalers BTW. Hopefully better quality than I'd expect for £2 :D
I've seen some nice LAP's at Screwfix, but I'd like to see what the wholesalers have too.

The only reason I have g5.3 12 volt spots in my bathroom is I am lazy and have not wanted to fill the holes which will be left after removing the pods, they were MR16 but I suppose since the LED version does not have a multi facilitated reflector and has cooling fins so does not cover the 16/8" they are not MR16 lamps?

I suppose like with the IBM PC because PC was a registered trade mark other makes were called PC compatibles we should call the LED lamps MR16 compatibles, however like the PC or any other name I am sure we will drop the compatible and shorten the name to MR16.

I am not sure about the idea of having a toroidal lighting transformer stuck in the loft space, rated 200 VA I will guess it is using more power than if I used 230 volt GU10 lamps, however not sure about fitting GU10 holders in the pods as the coaxial sockets they plug into may not be rated for 230 volt, plus all the cable would need changing to cable with an earth.

Some people with have electronic transformers which will not give out 50 Hz which the MR16 compatibles have written on their side, but at £17.04 each for a 50W I would think swapping the transformer to toroidal is likely the best way to deal with old MR16 12 volt lamps to allow conversion to LED.

In the old days having all the bulbs with same fitting was an advantage, however with LED they last so long I no longer stock spares, I have to date not replaced any LED lamps except for some 0.58W ones from Pound World which I assume were faulty from day one. At 50W one transformer would power quite a few LED lamps. OK unlike the 200 VA version it does not have 4 sets of terminals but 12 volt at 4 amp any junction block would do.

Seems that my local Edmunsons has now changed to 7Core.
In the end I walked away with 3 Ansell IP65 fire rated down lights and some GU10 LED's for around £34.
Just need to buy a bigger hole saw now.

Attachments

• P1000279.JPG
    P1000279.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 144

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back