Syphon for very old cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old (Shanks) cistern with an bottom exit hole that is 2½" in diameter and the flush pipe is about 1 5/8" diameter.

This isn't a simple case of fitting a new diaphragm, this one uses a disc that slides up and down the shaft inside the bell. The hole at the top of the bell through which the shaft slides up and down has worn over the years and now the shaft catches when its is flushed. The threads for the nut at the bottom of the shaft are full of lime-scale and maybe partly stripped. The nut has partly come off but now won't come any further. Not beyond repair by a fully equipped machine shop, but unfortunately I don't have one :(.

So, I think there's no option but to replace the syphon, but I can't find one to fit.

Please can someone point me to a supplier that will be able help?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Have you got a pic? Is the siphon made out of copper? I once saw a very old cistern like this and ended up replacing the whole toilet.

I have a problem with my Warwick high level cistern. Looking forward to the photo of yours.

The house is about 1890 and the cistern is perhaps 1950s and is of black thick plastic.

The siphon is plastic but offset on a brass casting.

The plastic diaphragm is loose on the shaft whereas I thought that most were held down in the middle ???

Where is Dave with his pictures?

Still in The Castle pub?

Sponsored Links
Image here:

I finally found (at B&Q of all places) a Fluidmaster push button dual flush unit that said it fitted 2" and 1.5" outlets. I bought it and even though the hole in the cistern base is nominally a bit larger than the standard for 2" outlet units, it did fit!

While not quite period style (no flush lever), it works fine, and cost loads less than a new matching cistern so the CFO is happy too.

D.

Do you still have to old one?

Would you be able to post a picture of the plunger part after removing it from the assembly?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back