syphoning problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After emptying my washbasin, a gurgling noise continues for several minutes. This noise is also heard from the bath at the same time. It sounds as if air is being drawn in through the plughole and if I loosen the connection at the u-bend, I can hear air being drawn in. Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Jack

Sponsored Links
take a look at the outside gulley or drain-pipe - is it blocked? If the waste pipe end is submerged it makes 'gurgling' noises as and when air can get into the flow. Could also be partially blocked pipe - try plunger on it, or Mr Muscle.

Unfortunately both the basin and the bath drains disappear into a concrete floor. I asume they must be teed somewhere as the noise can be heard from both. They do both seem to drain away okay, apart from the noise! What does an anti syphon trap do? Does it replace the existing trap? (The bath has a shallow trap and the basin has, I think, what's known as an S-bend)
Jack

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back