System Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to run the current set-up in my flat by-you. The CU is an old Wylex unit which will have to be replaced in the near future, but at the moment - whilst re-doing the kitchen I started tidying/fixing my earthing arrangements which could be described as 'iffy'.
I am still to connect the Main Equipotential bonding to the incoming Gas supply - Since there is none :eek: , but wanted to know what you think of the system earth already there. :?:

Am I right in thinking this is TN-S setup?

Does this wiring arrangement appear OK given the obvious age of the system?

Besides the renewal of CU, is there anything else you would suggest I do in the near future re the earthing?

In this pic you can see the CU (Top Left), the Mains incoming is just above the Flexy gas meter pipe.
1002675xj7.jpg

In this pic you can see the stranded unsheathed earth coming out from behind the wooden board onto the bottom right of CU.
1002678kp0.jpg

In this you see the earth attached to the Incoming mains sheath, just behind the incoming Gas Main, then going behind the wooden board.
1002677sb2.jpg

Thanks for any Advice! :D :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah, looks like TN-S of sorts, but a very old supply. Single insulated, too...

You could do with getting the DNO round to inspect it.

Tell them you're thinking of replacing the consumer unit, adding a high powered shower etc and is that feed up to the job of supplying 100A?

Hi Securespark,
I'm led to believe the house ws built around 1942 (so the old newspapers in the loft suggest!), so poss the supply is that old?

I think I'll defo give them a call soon, because just don't feel comfortable with the way things are, plus is a pain only having a 4 way, rewirable fuse CU :(

Lots of things to do - Never enough time....

Thanks

I agree with SS, thats a v old feed, I doubt the earth clamp on the incoming is very effective - the earth conductors are way undersized for todays regs too, but the DNO wont come out for that - the shower yarn's a good un.
Hey SS, reckon there's a fuse in that neutral block ??

Also having a look at the wider picture, there are a number of cables with the sheaths too short and exposed inner cables showing. Thats quite bad practise - but the really bad bit is in one or two cases they are going thru holes that have no protective grommetts. A good recipe for a short to earth.

that'll probably get sorted properly when the cu is replaced but u might want to do something about it in the short term.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:

There's a distinct possibility! In which case, they should definitely come out to it. Fused neutrals are frowned on big time!!

securespark said:
Taylortwocities said:

There's a distinct possibility! In which case, they should definitely come out to it. Fused neutrals are frowned on big time!!

Joe, when you call them say an electrician has has a look and thinks that there may be a fuse in the neutral tail but that he cant check it because its is sealed. They should be round to see you like a shot.!

Thanks guys - a few good points to use as leverage against the DNO!

I agree about some of the wires - messy indeedy, at some point someone has put a 1g socket inside the elect' cupboard, tapped into what I presume is one of the ring circuits for my flat upstairs, into which they've plugged in a security PIR floodlight outside the front door. Pretty much all the electrics I've come across so far are well below what I'd class as tidy + even acceptable

But then i'm a fussy Git when it comes to things like this :D

Cheers for all the advice

Joe

Just a quick one - Do you know who the DNO is for the NW9 north london region?

Is it EDF?

Anyone got any numbers to hand?

Ta
Joe

use the address on your electricity bill.

It will actually be another company, but it's not your job to know who. Your supplier is responsible for liasing with the numerous other companies involved.

Although the phone can be quick, you may get fobbed off by some dummy in the Mumbai call centre. In which case I find a short and clear letter works. It can't so easily be fobbed off or ignored, and is likely (eventually) to land on the desk of an engineer who understands and knows what to do.

Looking at the old chase in the plaster and the angle of the incpmer it looks as if the incomer has been bent to fit the new layout. With that age of cable a bend could have compromised the insulation.

Mention that the the DNO for their opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back