T&E and insulation foam

C

ColinJacobson

I believe T&E cable cannot be in contact with some insulation foam material as it deteriorates the cable. Anyone know which type of foam?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not foam that degrades t&e, it's polystyrene insulation. But the current carrying capacity of a cable is affected by any kind of thermal insulation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the last two informative replies. So, from this I deduct all other foams are OK if in contact with T&E cable?

afaik all FOAM is ok in contact with t&e POLYSTYRENE is bad and thermal insulation de-rates the cable

Polystyrene can cause the plasticiser in Pvc cables to leech out thus leaving the cable brittle and less flexible so insulation breakdown will occur.

'Polystyrene can cause the plasticiser in Pvc cables to leech out thus leaving the cable brittle and less flexible so insulation breakdown will occur'

learned that in my 17th ed course few weeks ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back