table refinishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dark wood dining table that is in excellent condition apart from the top which has suffered from my cats claws when they were kittens.
I want to get it back to its original condition and wondered what the best way to do this would be. The original finish was a high gloss lacquer. What are my options for finishing the top? Is it worth rubbing it down myself and getting it relacquered professionally or are there off the shelf products that would give me a professional finish?

Sponsored Links
Do you know how old it is, what it is made of, what the finish is?

If you look underneath, what are the joints between the legs, the frame and the top?

It isn't an old table,maybe 20 years or so. It appears to have a veneered top of mahogany or similar with a thin inlaid piece of a lighter wood running around the top near the edge. The table is in two halves and has a removable centre leaf. The tops hinge on each pedestal to allow storage.
The rest of the table appears to be a mixture of some solid wood and some stained and lacquered light wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back