Tails to CU isolator mount upside down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 100A DP isolator in enclosure which I wish to fit in the tails from meter to CU. Due to the layout of the mounting board it would be much simpler to mount the new isolator upside down making the tails around 1/3 length.
As long as everything is labeled clearly is there a problem with this regs wise?

Sponsored Links
The cables go in one end and out the other - why do you need to put it upside down?

The cables go in one end and out the other - why do you need to put it upside down?

By convention they have an in and out set of terminals and are marked line and load.
I would have thought it mattered or they wouldnt be marked as such?

Eitherway on is on and off is off.

Turn it whichever way you want it to be and mark the covers with a sharpie which is line and load, although the direction of the tails sort of makes it rather obvious.

You could add markings to the mounting board if you think the sharpie marking may fail.

Sponsored Links
Oldman2
By convention they have an in and out set of terminals and are marked line and load.
I would have thought it mattered or they wouldnt be marked as such?

The isolator is able to rotate through 180 degrees in the enclosure is the point Ban is trying to make.

Rotating is what he wants to do.

My point is I'd rather have the tails going in and out of the "wrong" ends than the switch upside down with the lever looking off when on and the legends upside down....

I think the only time it might matter is with those MEM isolaters as often used by DNOs.

These have the little hatch on the enclosure to enable access to the consumers connections without exposing the DNOs.

This is purely because of the enclosure though.

Main switches are not bothered which is supply and which is load. (Unless there is a fuse involved, but thats a different matter.)

So if I peel off the "load" and "Line" stickers and fit the switch into my enclosure with its little hatch toward the consumer unit end it will be ok?

I had assumed the mechanics internal to the switch were designed for the supply to only be presented at only 1 set of "line" terminals for a reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back