Take a Hike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A small island off the south coast of Japan, Yakushima is a UNESCO World Heritage site known for its lush forests, grand mountains and ancient cedar trees, some of which are thousands of years old. For the UK filmmaker Steve Atkins, Yakushima had long been a distant dream – a mythical forest painted in his imagination by the celebrated Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki’s animated classic Princess Mononoke (1997), which had enchanted him since his youth. When he later learned that Yakushima had inspired the mystical forests of Miyazaki’s film, he resolved to travel to the island in a quest driven by passion, spiritual curiosity and artistic instinct.

The Spirits of Yakushima

See if you can spot the Jōmon Sugi; an ancient tree estimated to be between 2,000 to 7,000 years old. A world within a world, where strange mosses cover the forest floor. In times past i'd hike the hills in the Peak District and along the Pennines but even the recent trip to Borrowdale's temperate rainforest was nothing like this. It's a unique ecosystem and this six minute video gives you a glimpse into why the Japanese revere nature so much, they made a religion out of it.

GPBlog_Yakushima_MountainWindow.jpg

A travellers perspective@blog.gaijinpot.com

Sponsored Links
Conservationists are racing to protect rare flora and fauna clinging to survival in the UK's last temperate rainforests.

_131319767_spookywistmans2_gshrubsole.jpg.webp

Conservation charities, The National Trust and PlantLife, are working to protect these hotspots of biodiversity.

[email protected]

We humans place great value on productivity. What I’ve learned philosophically about life from the ancient trees is peace and joy can be found in the slow, the cautious and the careful, as much as it can be in the rich and famous.

I have found the ancient forest to be my greatest teacher. The trees have taught me that growth is not necessarily essential or good. If we humans want to be sustained by this planet for ever, we cannot suck it dry. This ancient forest is one place that we haven’t got to – it has survived us by us ignoring it. There’s a way to make the planet infinitely sustainable for us, if we simply ask less of it.

3608.jpg

Doug Larson@theGuardnia

The public do not care - stop the boats not stop environmental damage.

Sponsored Links
Climate change is fuelling migration...

Latin America, South Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa are among the regions most vulnerable to the effects of climate change and could see large increases in both internal and cross-border migration [PDF] as a result. More than half of the developing world’s population lives in these three regions, and many live in vulnerable areas, some of which are already experiencing climate-driven migration crises. The World Bank estimates that these regions could altogether produce 143 million internal climate migrants by 2050. There are no comparable projections for cross-border migration, but natural disasters and slower-moving climate consequences are linked to increased international migration, particularly for those who live near a border.

...Council on Foreign Relations.org

Climate change is fuelling migration...

Latin America, South Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa are among the regions most vulnerable to the effects of climate change and could see large increases in both internal and cross-border migration [PDF] as a result. More than half of the developing world’s population lives in these three regions, and many live in vulnerable areas, some of which are already experiencing climate-driven migration crises. The World Bank estimates that these regions could altogether produce 143 million internal climate migrants by 2050. There are no comparable projections for cross-border migration, but natural disasters and slower-moving climate consequences are linked to increased international migration, particularly for those who live near a border.

...Council on Foreign Relations.org

So? Not my problem. We need to look after our own first, we need to kick people off the streets and back into work even if they can't walk or breath properly.

Got no time for poor scroungers but rich ones are the salt of the earth.

Woof woof.

Globe hopping, tourism and gap yhars are fueling climate change; discuss.

Dr Tom Smith is a wildfires scientist. His career has focused on tracking down wildland fires in savannahs and tropical peatlands around the globe, but his latest investigation was closer to home....Air pollution in the street was even worse than indoors. “As soon as I got outside, the readings on my sensor jumped. A short walk upwind confirmed my suspicions: the pub opposite my estate had smoke billowing from its chimney. “Concentrations in front of the houses near the pub were even higher than outside my flat. Exposure like this over long periods of time will aggravate the heart and lungs of anyone in the smoke plume. Children, asthmatics and pregnant women are particularly vulnerable.”

Gary Fuller@the Grudiana

The moral of the story is clear: stop burning trees.

Dr Tom Smith is a wildfires scientist. His career has focused on tracking down wildland fires in savannahs and tropical peatlands around the globe, but his latest investigation was closer to home....Air pollution in the street was even worse than indoors. “As soon as I got outside, the readings on my sensor jumped. A short walk upwind confirmed my suspicions: the pub opposite my estate had smoke billowing from its chimney. “Concentrations in front of the houses near the pub were even higher than outside my flat. Exposure like this over long periods of time will aggravate the heart and lungs of anyone in the smoke plume. Children, asthmatics and pregnant women are particularly vulnerable.”

Gary Fuller@the Grudiana

The moral of the story is clear: stop burning trees.

Bloody lefty snowflake, look at how many fossil fuels China burns - how can we compete when they all pay lip service to the environment.

Replace the environment with Women's rights - I mean we wouldn't argue that because other countries have less rights for women we should strip the women of this country their hard fought rights for equality.

The mind of right wingers if taken to the logical conclusion they are all death cultists.

The public do not care - stop the boats not stop environmental damage.
These people on the boats. Do you think they will cycle everywhere. Will they not use Gas or electricity? Do they come from environmentally sounder countries than ours? Will they make everything right?

Bloody lefty snowflake, look at how many fossil fuels China burns - how can we compete when they all pay lip service to the environment.

Replace the environment with Women's rights - I mean we wouldn't argue that because other countries have less rights for women we should strip the women of this country their hard fought rights for equality.

The mind of right wingers if taken to the logical conclusion they are all death cultists.

You are a fruit!

These people on the boats. Do you think they will cycle everywhere. Will they not use Gas or electricity? Do they come from environmentally sounder countries than ours? Will they make everything right?

Way to go missing the point and proving just how gullible you are to slogans.

You voted Brexit so simple lies are good enough to convince you.

Sponsored Links
Back