Taking a wall out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I want to convert 2 small bedrooms into one room. This means I need to remove the internal wall. Which is solid - not stud. There is no wall above it and the ceiling joists run as shown in the drawing.

As you can see by the drawings/photo, if I was to remove the internal wall it would leave a small peice of wall between the two existing doors, which would no doubt fall down.

Can you give me some advice on how to approach this please?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about trying to save the small section that remains as it would be better to remove it anyway. Take the lot down and replace it in studwork with a new door frame to the bedroom as per your sketch. You will have to consider any electrics that may be near the existing door and re-route these using a suitable electrician as it all needs to be certified . Also you would probably need to insert some noggins between the ceiling joists to fix the new stud wall to unless you get lucky and it happens to land directly under a ceiling joist. If you can also check the floor below where you want the new stud wall to be for pipes and cables before firing nails or screws in it could save you a lot of hassle.

Thanks for the advice.

To be clear; should I remove the bit of wall in between the existing two doors and the bit of wall above both the door openings right up to the ceiling. I suppose the new door opening won't need a lintel because it will just be stud above it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it; the two walls (the ones with the existing door openings) are supporting walls above. The only wall that isn't a supporting wall is the one I want to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back