Taller Mitre Box (and saw)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im after a couple of mitre boxes 100mm high which i can screw down to a board (makeshirt workbench) so that I can do some accurate timber cuts for garden.

The 2 mitre boxes i would position apart to suit the desired wood width (then screw them to the board)

I could move them closer or apart for different width wood lengths.

I only need to do 90 degree cuts mainly.

The 100mm height of box is important.

If there is any suggestions on perhaps a kit which has the 2 boxes (above) and a suitable saw?

There are some wide deck board widths (many to cut accurately )
There are some chunky rectangular fence posts (many to cut accurately)

Because of my past health/bit wobbly I cannot just do a nice straight cut so need the aid of the mitre boxes.

I want to be able to do this myself please.

As pic attached scenario...

Attachments

• look4.jpg
    look4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
I could get away with 2 off 75mm high mitre boxes but im also thinking best way to have the adjustment between cutting wood A and wood B .. Similarly not sure what type saw?. Hand Chop saw or ordinary hand saw with this combo?. Pic attached

Attachments

• CutWood.jpg
    CutWood.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 8
Why not make it the width of the largest boards you will cut, and then clamp the smaller bits of timber to the further face of the box?

Sorry Opps, not sure what you mean?. Was after something as shown orange (2 off) in picture that would fix to board. You mean space the orange bits for the widest then keep them fixed and do what for lesser width wood?. My apologies if I'm a bit confused

Sponsored Links
Sorry Opps, not sure what you mean?. Was after something as shown orange (2 off) in picture that would fix to board. You mean space the orange bits for the widest then keep them fixed and do what for lesser width wood?. My apologies if I'm a bit confused

Sorry if I was not clear.

Let's assume that the widest decking board is 250mm. Make the mitre box 250mm deep. When you need to cut the 100*100mm timber, rather than moving the walls of the mitre box, just clamp the 100mm timber to the back of the box (so that it doesn't move when sawing).

TBH, a 305mm electric mitre saw would be wayyyy faster. You could consider buying on second hand and then selling it on after.

OK I think I understand confusion here now. Yes your idea is good. The only issue is I can't seem to find 2 of those orange L shaped sides which would effectively be like a mitre box. Thoughts?

The sides then used to clamp each side of e.g deck boards.. the sides screw fixed to the bench or board or whatever

Why not make it the width of the largest boards you will cut, and then clamp the smaller bits of timber to the further face of the box?
Any any idea where I could get orange from as my last comment end of these postings?

Any any idea where I could get orange from as my last comment end of these postings?

I guess that you mean that you need to find someone that can calibrate timber framing with straight edges. To be honest, I don't know the answer.

I own a Nobex Champion (manual) mitre saw. I could cut the slot (up to180mm tall), but if you got someone with an electric mitre saw to cut it for you, the gap would be about 2.5mm, which is wider than a standard saw blade. Most of the diy boxes seem to work on the assumption that you will be able to make the initial cut perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back