tank overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum but I would appreciate any advice/help.

My house has a typical central heating system: hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, traditional boiler, two water tanks in the loft.

On Monday night when the heating was shut off I bled 2 radiators. Then on Tuesday morning when the heating was switched on, I found one of the overflow pipes below my roof (I think it is from the big cold water tank in the loft) gushing out some water. After a while, it became dripping. I have observed for 2 days and it seems that there is no dripping when the heating is turned off, but there is a slow dripping when the heating turns on. I am not sure it is the ball valve problem, cos it happened rightly after I bled the radiators so would it be possible that water entering the cold water tank from somewhere else (rather than via the ball valve) to cause it overflow??

Any possible cause of this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You're going to have to get out your crampons and ice axe and venture into the void which lurks above your loft hatch.

It's quite likely that the float valve, once disturbed by your radiator-bleeding, didn't seat properly so it needs a clean and a new washer.

Careful, there are ghoulies up there. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back