tanking for ensuite...were to tank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a ensuite shower installed and just preparing the area now. I intend to use the dunlop shower waterproofing kit. A plumber will be installing the shower tray onto floorboards as part of his first fix and then returning to install the shower after i have tiled. i have never tanked before but have been reading around it this morning. I know the tape included in the kit is for internal wall corners/joins. Do I need tape up the joins on floor to wall before the tray is laid (the plumber said he will be using tape with the tray but i assume he means were the tray meets the wall. Do i also need to tank the wall to the floor before he installs the tray or is it ok to let him fit the tray and then tank from the tray upwards

Just not sure if the kit is for use after the tray is installed or before doing from the floorboards up. Any advice is most welcome

Sponsored Links
I would always tank any areas that are likely to have tiles that get wet. Tanking these days is very cheap and quick. Ardex WPC, BAL WP1 and the Dunlop system all very good. Ardex being my pref. You then have the matting systems like schluter kerdi, genesis or homelux.

I would always tank any areas that are likely to have tiles that get wet. Tanking these days is very cheap and quick. Ardex WPC, BAL WP1 and the Dunlop system all very good. Ardex being my pref. You then have the matting systems like schluter kerdi, genesis or homelux.

So i take it it is ok to fit thet tray first and then tank all the areas above it as per instructions of manufacturer?

This would be easier as to tape the walls/floor joint would be more difficult as the plaster does not go all the way down to the floor and to do this I would have to fill in the gap with suitable product to allow the tape to take.

Sponsored Links
Well I would always suggest going all the way down to the floor when building walls ;) but yeah, the joint tape can do as you said. The adhesive they give you to stick the tape down will be truely waterproof so you'll have a water tight seal. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back