Tanking freshly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had our entire ensuite re-plastered, as when I took off the old tiles parts of the plaster came with it. Anyway, I am wanting to tank the shower area to help stopping water ingress.

Am I right in thinking all I need to do is paint the plaster with Acrylic Primer followed by a coat of Bal WP1 Waterproof coating?

Sponsored Links
I dont know what your specificed material is but a tiler doing a wet room used a grey coloured latex like material but I dont remember if he applied any size to the plaster fefore the latex.

Tony

plaster must be fully dry first. then give walls a coat of bal prime allow to dry.then add a coat of bal wp1
then apply bal polyester tape to corners and any round any pipes if your going to go that high.
then apply another coat of wb1 over all the taped corners and edging.

plaster must be fully dry first. then give walls a coat of bal prime allow to dry.then add a coat of bal wp1
then apply bal polyester tape to corners and any round any pipes if your going to go that high.
then apply another coat of wb1 over all the taped corners and edging.

Thanks - is it common practice to coat floor to ceiling or only the first few feet or so.

Sponsored Links
usally to about chest height but you can go higher no point saving any.
theres enough in the tub to do the floor if your doing a wetroom so use it on the walls.

usally to about chest height but you can go higher no point saving any.
theres enough in the tub to do the floor if your doing a wetroom so use it on the walls.

Thanks. Is it like paint the waterproofing or more or a gel consistency?

Is it woth putting the polyester tape so it covers the gap between the shower tray and wall? Will it stick to the shower tray?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back