Tap and Toilet Cistern problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After my little problem the other day (which seco services kindly helped me to sort out) :) I have 2 little jobs that I am trying to undertake today, and have a few small hiccups that I'd like to ask if I may?

(1) Bathroom's cold tap (fed from the cold water tank) is dripping, not majorly, but quite a bit, and I want to change the washer. The problem is I am having trouble removing the nut (headgear??) fro the tap body, it is very very stiff. I am quite strong myself, but do not want to damage the pipes underneath as the tap is turning a tiny bit due to the force i am having to put on it. Is there any easier way I can remove the tap, or anything that can possibly help ease it?

(2) After reading the FAQs section I know I need to replace my siphon in my toilet cistern. It takes a while to flush, until it finally does. So I have bought a replacement siphon, of the correct size, 8" height, and want to replace it. But the trouble again :oops: is, to remove the siphon, I will need to of course remove the wire link between the top of the siphon and the plastic linkage, but the plastic linkage lever is connected to the handle with a small screw, which is so rusted and corroded that I cannot unscrew it! :( Is there any way to overcome this problem please too?

Thank you again for reading my post.

All the best, Keith.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes these do get really seized, try a bit of WD40 on it.

Also make sure you are using a decent adjustable or a stilson wrench is handy for this job, cheap ones will just slip off.

Are the taps connected by flexis, compression or pushfit underneath by any chance, which you can isolate and unscrew them off, ten you don't have to sorry about damaging any pipes.

Make sure you are turning the right nut, some taps have a nut shaped bit at the top which can sometimes look like it unscrews but actually doesn't.

On the syphon were the sea hook is connected to the handle, if the screw has just crumbled at the top and is no longer unscrewable, try a little footprint wrench around the nut, this should give good enough grip to turn it.

Any more problems don't hesitate to post back.

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

The nut on the tap is the headgear nut - quite large, but won't budge. I have been using an adjustable spanner on it - i will try some wd40 on it as you have kindly suggested.

The plastic hook in the cistern i anaged to get off by using some pliers and pulling it out literally - now i have to search my shed for a small screw on replacement!! Thanks for the tips, hopefully the wd40 will work now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back