Tap with a mind of its own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tap in my ensuite always dribbles briefly a few times after it is turned off, usually 4 or 5 times at about 5 minute intervals. It's not a huge problem obviously, but I'm wondering if there is something that can be done to stop it because it is annoying my wife and therefore me. I've also noticed that when the tap is on full and I turn it off abruptly, I can hear something clonk inside it so I'm not sure if that indicates the source of the problem.
I can't see how the tap comes apart so I haven't attempted any diagnosis myself. Thanks for any help.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Taps often dribble.

Water is left in the spout held there by air pressure, like dipping a straw into a glass of water and putting your finger over the end when you remove it the water stays in the straw till you lift your finger.

The same thing happens in the spout but after a while because of the large size of the outlet the "air lock" is lost and the water dribbles out.

The clunk is back pressure from the ceramic disc shutting off very quickly.

I don't think dismantling the tap will help at all, so long as the dribbling stops you don't have a problem.

Regards,
footprints

as above & you will also have limescale inside the end of the spout (notice the white around the spout), try getting rid of the limescale & you may find your prob goes away

Sponsored Links
The clonk is water hammer. It can be fixed by ensuring all pipes are bracketed properly or with a hammer arrestor:

engineered_arrestor.jpg

Thanks all, I'll check the spout is clear. You've saved me the pain of taking the thing apart, anyway. I'm sure we can learn to live with a little dribble.

if its on a combi..then the cause is the expansion of the water in the plate heat exchanger....install a schock arrestor as suggested..

Yes jon I'm afraid a lot of us have to put up with a little dribble as we get older :D

Regards,
footprints ;)

Tell me about it, daren't laugh too hard at anything these days. Anyway, I just took the little thingy off the end of the spout and checked it for limescale - not a sign (we do have a water softener so not that surprising).
So - it's a tap, it dribbles. I'll get over it.

Tell me about it, daren't laugh too hard at anything these days. Anyway, I just took the little thingy off the end of the spout and checked it for limescale
Aaargh, incontinence and a limescale problem. :eek:

Oh, you mean the tap. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back