TAPS FROM EBAY, TEARS INCLUDED?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thinking of buying some taps from ebay....

Problem is, I was wondering if bath/basin mixers are interchangable. A bit concerned I might be waiting days for a bath to run...

Are flow rates different for bath taps, and can I rely on sellers who sell a tap as suitable for baths or basins?

Cheers for the help!

Sponsored Links
Bath taps are usually bigger bore (3/4") than basin taps (1/2").

If your water comes from a tank in the loft you want good big waterways. UK taps are often wider internally than Italian or other imports.

Bath taps usually have a 3/4" connection, whilst basin have 1/2". This is important if you have a standard 'gravity fed' hot tap water system and not a combi/un-vented system ;)

Sponsored Links
To work at their best combis prefer to have all hot tap pipe work in 1/2".

Even with 3/4 bath taps and a combi you should use a 3/4 - 15mm tap connector, so I can't see why not.

As far as i'm aware your flow rate would not change as you will recieve the same water pressure you have always had. The thing i would consider is the length of the neck of the taps. The reason i say this is becuse i brought some new taps a while back and they were about 10 mil short of the connection. it was a right old pain in the arse job having to change the pipes to match the taps.

p1081010_l.jpg

aren't they great?

JohnD said:
p1081010_l.jpg

aren't they great?
Nope. I hate braided flexibles, especially with hot supplies, on which they're just a plumbing time-bomb.

"Problem is, I was wondering if bath/basin mixers are interchangable."

I wouldn't have thought it possible to fit bath "mixers" to a sink and vice versa?

Stivino said:
I wouldn't have thought it possible to fit bath "mixers" to a sink and vice versa?
If by "sink" you mean basin, then it's possible to fit a bath tap as long as the hole is big enough.

It's just that he said "mixers". So apart from the difference from the centres being a bit different, the holes in sink and bath being different, and the existing fittings being different then, I suppose they'll be the same.

Stivino said:
It's just that he said "mixers".
Fair point, well made. I didn't read his post properly.

I retract my comment and apologise for my mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back