Tarmac costs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A friend of mine has just had a 'quick job' done on a farm access road that was badly potholed, he was charged 4 grand for about 700 square meters and all they did was to plonk down about an inch of what I think is wearing course, no kerbs or top coat.

It took them only half a day and ive told him it will only last a couple of years before the edges break away and the pot holes re- appear !

Im no expert but the base course they used has a large aggregate and the fact the surface is not smooth and filled will surely mean that sun, traffic, rain and frost will soon open up these areas.

Ive tried searching the internet to find out what the up to date cost of tarmac (supply only) is ? I want to work out what he has been charged for the actual labour.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I give it 6 months.. if they didnt put down a proper base course compacted a few dozen times with a heavy roller then chances are that weeds etc will grow through in no time and as you say the edges will break up without an edging strip.
Did the guys who done the work give a guarantee? Or did they ask for cash and happen to have a truck load of tarmac for cheap?

I dont know the full details but I think 4 grand is a bit much considering they couldnt possibly have done proper preparation in the time it took. It was raked and rolled, not particularly level either !

Im just curious as to how much the tarmac actually cost to supply then I can work out how much the labour was and inform him, or maybe not inform him if he was heavily overcharged.

It all depends what was quoted for in the first place, if they quoted for "a quick clear up and quick single course" then thats exactly what he got.

I suppose im just being curious and nosey, thats all.

give us a rough idea wher he is and then the rest of the county can be aware the travelling tarmackers are about :rolleyes:Strange, is friend not a farmer? I thought most of them were wise to the "boys from the blackstuff"

Sponsored Links
Top coat and wearing base coat are £80 a ton, it will do approx 3-4 m2 at 50mm ave.

Would have thought thats all he asked for cos £5.50 a m2 is bloody cheap!

Did they emulsion the existing first?

Was it cash in hand or no letter heading? if so then it's cowboy job :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back