Tarmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,,

bit of advice if i may,

i have a stand alone workshop to the rear of the property.

there is a private road that runs along the back which is old tarmac and not very good condition.. my workshop is set back from the road about a car width on purpose so i can have a carbay in front of the workshop....

i would like to tarmac this area to join the workshop to the road and provide a bay,... its about 5m by 2m approx....

is this a good idea, and how much is a reasonable price for this work to be done?

thx

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea.

Like all things building though, the 'mac will only be as good as the prep work beneath and reliant upon a decent depth of base and wearing course, that the boys put down.

The one negative thing about 'mac is the fact is does not like petroleum based spillage. So if the workshop is motor orientated then be prepared for some pitting in the 'mac.

I paid £15 p/m² for laying the 'mac having done most of the prep, i.e. dig off and cart away, edgings, planter, stone down and compacted etc.

The £15 per metre bought me 60mm base and 30mm top. This price was outrageously good considering that Dawkes of Stafford did the job and did it to a high standard. Stay away from Transit driving itinerant bods with dodgy accents.

However, the prep work may be the costly part so do not take this price per metre as anything other than say 30% of the overall job.

thx for the advice,,,

luckily, the whole area use to be a carparking area.... so there was a good depth of hardcore compressed down already there,,, the workshop was built on a concrete raft straight on top, so i am assuming its good enough for the tarmac also?

the raft sits a minimum of 6 inches from the hardcore at the front of the workshop, the road then sort of slopes upwards towards the lane... so if this is all good, then the job really wouldnt be that much then?

Sponsored Links
From your description the job sounds simple, mebbe a little bit of prep and a some edging.

£500 may buy you the job done....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back