Telephone bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permissible (or advisable) to have a telephone line (and joint box but not a point) in a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
It's not selv, is above 50v.......

Doesn't comply, unless you can put it in an appropriate zone.

The telephone socket outlet is 48 to 50V DC so it can be classed as Extra Low Voltage (ELV).

However it doesn't use electrical separation so it isn't SELV.

Some people may think this is OK outside of Zone 3.

But in BS7671 Section 601, the penultimate paragraph of regulation 601-08-01 states that "Outside zones 0, 1, 2 and 3 there shall be no socket outlet other than SELV socket outlets or shaver supply units to BS EN 60742"

So the answer is NO.

Yes OK but I`m not talking about a telephone point (socket) but cable terminating in a junction box within the zones of a bathroom (and touchable/splashable)

Sponsored Links
i belive that violates the rule that wiring may only pass through a zone if supplying equipment in that zone or further in.

Good point, I suppose protecting with trunking might help (on the cable not the box though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back