Telephone line voltage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My mum has a phone line that was installed late 70s early 80s so does not have a test point on the Master socket.
Her phone has stopped working no dialling tone. I put a meter across 2 and 5 on socket and getting 22v is this correct?
Trying to figure out if this is a internal or external problem before calling an engineer out.
TIA
Colin

Sponsored Links
I thought they ran at 50v? I’ve had a shock off of them in the past. My dad said don't be silly, he touched them and got a belt too. Mind you, that was about 50 years ago!

Hi All
My mum has a phone line that was installed late 70s early 80s so does not have a test point on the Master socket.
Her phone has stopped working no dialling tone. I put a meter across 2 and 5 on socket and getting 22v is this correct?
Trying to figure out if this is a internal or external problem before calling an engineer out.
TIA
Colin

No, it should be around 50v DC. They put a form of ac on the line, to make it ring..

I thought they ran at 50v? I’ve had a shock off of them in the past. My dad said don't be silly, he touched them and got a belt too. Mind you, that was about 50 years ago!

You can get higher voltages when it rings..

Sponsored Links
That's what i thought and goes higher when ringing but this being the old GPO setup i'm not sure if it's the same.

It's a nominal 48V DC, positive earth, when idle - i.e. one wire is roughly at earth potential, the other is at -48V relative to earth. But since it's run from lead-acid cells float charged, in practice it's a bit higher.
When ringing, an AC signal is superimposed on top of the DC - i.e. the line is at -48V +/- the peak ringing voltage.
When you pick up a phone, it loads the line and the combination of resistances (line and relays at the exchange) means the voltage will drop significantly. In the old days, when off-hook, the current drawn would operate a relay, not sure if there's still relays on the line cards or if it's all solid state these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back