Telephone wire colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am renovating a flat and the main phone line was cut coming into the house. The black cable as the following wires

3 x yellow
1 x orange
1 x green
1x black
1 x white

Does anyone know which wires I connect to the new style telephone cable ? Any information would help

Sponsored Links
First Pair Orange and White, your line is mostly likely to be on these. Connect to A (white ) and B ( orange ) in the Master socket

Second Pair Green and Black keep these long but insulated in case you need a second line in the future

The three Yellow "wires" are steel support strands and serve no electrical purpose. Be careful with them as they will be hard to cut, they also have sharp ends, stabbed fingers are not un-common. put then into a terminal block to just keep the sharp ends safely aout of the way.

Sponsored Links
Just registered to thanks for the answer. I just moved the master socket and was wondering what did the green-black pair do... and why there were 3 identical yellow cables :).

For the time being, I extended the cable with CAT5 (I know it's not a single copper wire!), and I'm going to replace it with some good CW1308 when I have some time (probably when the line stops working).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back