Telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a newbie on here and I'd like some advice on phone wiring. My BT line comes from the pole to my loft where it terminates at an old style GPO junction box. The cable is grey with two solid cores. The junction box has 4 pairs of terminals and the cores are connected to two of those.

I need an outlet in my living room serving a broadband wireless router for a laptop plus a cordless phone, and an outlet in a bedroom serving a PC running off a wired connection.

My initial thought is to connect an external cable to the GPO junction box, take it out of the loft, down the outside wall, and into the living room where it will terminate at a master socket for my phone and wireless router. Then take an external cable from the master, back outside and up the outside wall and into the bedroom where it will terminate at an extension socket for the PC.

I need to route the cables outside because doing it inside is problematic. I also want to have a wired connection to the PC because I think it would give better connectivity than running it from the router that is downstairs.

Does anyone have any advice on this ie best way to wire up to the GPO junction box, what colours to use etc. Does it help the wireless connectivity to have the cable going to the downstairs first rather than going to the bedroom first which would be a shorter cable run overall. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
How, exactly, do you plan to use a telephone extension to connect your PC?

Hi Monkeh, I see what you mean, I'd have to have an ethernet connection from the router to the PC, which would be difficult bearing in mind that they're in different rooms. :oops:

I guess then I'll have to run the PC wirelessly also, and hope that the dongle can pick up the signal from the router. Doh!

Or, you could just run some external cat5e and put some ethernet sockets in place.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Monkeh, I'm being a bit thick here. Do you mean run one cat5e from the GPO JB to a master in the living room, which will server the wireless router, and run another cat5e from the GPO JB to an ethernet socket in the bedroom to serve the PC?

Ah right, so I would take an external cat5e cable from the GPO 52A terminal block to a NTE5 in the living room (which would serve my cordless phone and wireless router) then take another cat5e from the NTE5 to an ethernet socket in the bedroom for my PC?

On the basis that I've got that right, and I'm sill not being thick, could you please advise the best way to connect the cat5e to the the terminals in the GPO 52A (ie what colours to link to the two solid core wires on the drop cable) and what connections to make in the master socket.

Thanks for bearing with me, its much appreciated.

No, from an ethernet socket in the living room. Ethernet and phone wiring are two different things, even though they can use the same cable.

The colours do not matter. Pick a pair, any pair, and then take them down to the A&B terminals on the NTE5.

One cable from the box in the loft to an NTE5 in the living room. One from an ethernet socket in the living room to an ethernet socket in the bedroom.

Hi Monkeh, sorry for the delayed reply - had to go and get my lad from school. I think I get it now, many thanks for your help.

Hi Lectrician, no I just have a phone cable that is connected into the GPO 52A at one end and to a standard telephone socket at the other. There is a microfilter in the socket with the wiring from a cordless phone and a wireless router going into the microfilter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back