Telewest/virgin media coax quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have always been under the impression that the catv network telewest now virgin media uses triple sheild coax maybe quad shield sheild these days to keep ingress/egress to a bare minimum.
Most of the cabling for my virgin media system is indeed triple screen coax, however a short piece of cable which connects to the old incoming telewest isolator into the hdu amplifier only appears to be double screen, this cable is at least 20 years old, the engineer who fitted the amp never bothered updating this cable maybe he didn't notice or care?, I noticed on one end its got the old brass compression fitting (gold and blue) and on the other end the newer cabelcon 4.9 (silver and yellow)
I guess my question is did telewest use double screen coax back in the day, maybe because interference wasn't as big as an issue than it is now? Or have they always used triple screen coax and whoever originally installed it has made a bodge?
I'm just curious I find this whole subject very interesting.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
BTW if your wondering how I found out that this coax was only double screen it's because its been damaged by the carpet fitter had new carpets fitted recently. As for the other virgin cables I'm only guessing they are triple screen because they say " Amphenol virgin media ctfc-t10

This is cable in question damaged by the carpet fitter (don't you just love em) this was connected to the incoming isolator (telewest) which then connected to the hdu amplifier, as you can see its only double shielded no secondary foil before the braiding I'm just wondering if this was the norm for telewest back in the day or if it's been bodged and should have been triple screened? This piece of cable is at least 20 years old.
As a temporary measure to get the system back up and running I've used leftover wf100 (the system didn't actually stop working but I was worried with the cable in this state it may be causing noise on the network possibly upsetting neighbours so I've completely removed it as you can see. I plan to get virgin in to make a proper repair.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231010_112133.jpg
    20231010_112133.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 70

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back