Telly Aerials & Damaging tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
I am intending to fit an aerial on the chimney.
I recently had a roofer mending the tiles, and he told me that it's best to fit the aerial to the side of the house, as the chimney is surrounded by roofing tiles.

If I attempt the chimney, and use roofing ladders, could I still damage the tiles even if i don't venture off the ladder?

He told me theyr'e cheap cement tiles, dyed green that break easily.

Sponsored Links
Coaster said:
He told me theyr'e cheap cement tiles, dyed green that break easily.
Not worth taking the risk, fix it on the wall.

I've always put mine in the loft (if you have one) and haven't had any reception problems, much easier than fixing to the house.

I would also ask, do you know how to fit an aerial to a chimney stack? not to mention have you ever been up a roofing ladder?

stick it on a bracket, its easier and safer

Sponsored Links
Rod Hull ( emu ) died after falling from his roof trying to fix his tv arial, i dont know if he broke any of his roof tiles or if he had ever used a roof ladder before, but he certainly hit the floor with a smack

I'm not surpised trying to carry that bloody great bird up there whilst fixing an aerial. Seriously though, its a dangerous job, if in doubt get someone to do it for you.

nstreet said:
its a dangerous job, if in doubt get someone to do it for you.
Have to agreed and you shouldn't work of a ladder. A ladder is for getting from a to b.

Ah the voices of doom and gloom how do you know this bloke isn't a fireman or steeple jack, I'm sure he can decide for himself whether he wants to take the risk of going on his roof.
You should be ok with a roofing ladder on its own but just in case tie some padding to the undersideabout half way down.
Let us know if you end up in casualty just so the others can say I told you so :LOL: :LOL:

use a cherry picker.. great fun. annoys the neighbours and very safe.
providing you dont have hanging HV cables near you.
£200 tho... but you can clean your guttering too at the same time!

dont need training either... (which is scary thought) :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back