Temperature Control-CENTRAL HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Worcester 280 RSF has a temperature control knob which used to click and activate the heating.I do not seem to be able to control the heating as before.I have read the fault-finder and I suspect I need a new potentiometer.I have bought one in readiness.It has a spindle one end and has three wires which attach to the PCB.

Can anyone confirm if I have the right part.Someone else has suggested that the current spindle may be faulty.

At the moment I am running the boiler all night (on a low setting) for fear of losing the heating in this cold spell

Sponsored Links
Our Worcester 280 RSF has a temperature control knob which used to click and activate the heating.
Ignoring the problem with your boiler control for the moment, I get the impression that the boiler temperature control is the only control you have over the house temperature? Or do you have a thermostat on the wall as well?

Thanks for your reply Hailsham.You are right-we have no renmote controls.Heat is switched on with a roller switch and temperature is controlled manually.I hope this extra information clarifies the situation

Thanks for your reply Hailsham.You are right-we have no renmote controls.Heat is switched on with a roller switch and temperature is controlled manually.I hope this extra information clarifies the situation
Thought so! You really should get some controls fitted to your boiler. It will save you money on gas.

What part number is the replacement thermostat you bought?

Sponsored Links
IT is a genuine Bosch part-no.386 227(GC) and is a harness potetiometer.I also bought a spare thermistor(379 785) at the same time.These spares could be scarce and a relative has the same model so it may come in handy.

We do not have controls and have low gas consumption.We all wear jumpers indoors and only put boiler on is adverse weather.If we feel cold the boiler goes on and is switched off when we are warm.thanks for your reply and for your helpful advice.Let me know if our spartan regime is wasteful

IT is a genuine Bosch part-no.386 227(GC) and is a harness potetiometer.I also bought a spare thermistor(379 785) at the same time.These spares could be scarce and a relative has the same model so it may come in handy.
That's the correct part no for the potentiometer. The Installation instructions are Here

We do not have controls and have low gas consumption.We all wear jumpers indoors and only put boiler on is adverse weather.If we feel cold the boiler goes on and is switched off when we are warm.thanks for your reply and for your helpful advice.Let me know if our spartan regime is wasteful
It certainly won't be wasteful and if you are happy wearing jumpers, I won't stop you! Controls just make it a bit easier. You could install them and set the temperature low, so the boiler only comes on when you feel cold. If that's 15°C - fine.

thanks for all your help and the link to the manual.I have a copy as I had the boiler from new.It has been a sound boiler.Its been a real help in these cols dark times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back