Temporarily removing a gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I read a recent post about someone asking if they could replace a gas hob themselves. The reply was that this could be done as a DIY job if the hob was connected via a rubber hose although this was then disputed on the grounds that a DIYer couldn’t check for leaks.

My oven (a standalone unit) is about 5 years old and was in the flat when I bought it. It is connected to the gas main at the back of the cooker by a black rubber pipe about 2’ long and there appears to be some kind of brass plug and fitting where the pipe joins the rigid gas main.

I want to pull the cooker out so that I can tile the floor underneath, is it okay to disconnect this pipe and is this a DIY job?

If so, do I need to check for leaks afterwards?

Thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
When you unplug the fitting the socket on the mains pipe should self seal. I've been told before that it's ok to plug and un-plug yourself (on this site), its the main pipeworks you can't (legally) mess with.
I would turn the gas off and empty the cooker of gas before disconnecting though, and not with a tab in ye mouth !!

As far as I am aware a stand alone gas cooker should have a flexible hose pipe with the bayonet connector ...push the hose up into the connector and give it a quarter turn to remove.

A gas hob I believe should be hard piped into the gas supply and one that you cannot touch

we had the big black pipe as mentioned on our cooker. I (occasionlay) did just unplug it to clean under the cooker then just plug it back in, that it what it is desinged for, to leave gas on and just unplug it

Sponsored Links
I thought I'd just point out there are two types of fitting for flexible gas pipe. There is the baynot fitting ( self sealing) and the 'screw in' both available from Homebase.
If a 'screw in' needs to be removed then a blanking plug with sealant will be needed and testing for any leaks is necessary (water/Fairy Liquid)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back