Temporary chimney plugs (ventilation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Our new place has reasonably sized fireplace, which is great,as we always wanted an open fire for the occasional bit of evening ambiance. It's not going to be used too often, so I figure I should put some sort of plug in place during inactivity. I'm aware of chimney balloons and the like, but I can't see why I need to spent £30 when a bag of old t-shirts or rockwool will do the job.

I figured I'd stick a pipe through the middle of the plug for a bit of ventilation (and useful for putting in and taking out), but I don't know what the minimum should be. Am I looking at overflow pipe diameter, or 40mm waste diameter?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
You economy methods will block the chimney but ulikely to be 100% effective so you will still have ventilation.

I did the same with our open fireplace, a bin bag filled with old plastic shopping bags, as Foxy says the its not a tight fit so there is ventilation at least it stops the high winds that blow down the chimney during the winter when the fire is not in use.

Sponsored Links
Cheers! To be honest I've not really felt a breeze coming down or going up the chimney - but it must have an impact on the room, as it's a ruddy great hole to the open sky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back