Temporary propping of loft to allow pigeon decontamination contractors to work safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m renovating a building and we have to carry out pigeon decontamination in the loft before any other contractors can work there.

We It’s a Victorian building from the 1870s and the attic joists (those you walk on when in the attic space) are approx 4x2s or less. I’ve been advised by a structural engineer to prop them at the middle of the span onto the second floor below (that has proper joists) before the two man pigeon decontamination team work up there.

Ceiling height (and so height of propping) is about 2400mm and the width of the run would be approx 4400mm

What would be the cheapest and most cost effective way of doing this? Acroprops? A cross braced timber frame?

Are there any systems that builders/roofers/loft converters use to make an attic structurally safe to work in?

TIA for any suggestions.

Phil

Sponsored Links
I would use Acroprops and 4 x 2 timbers both on the ceiling and on the floor to spread the load. Screw the 4 X 2's up into the ceiling joists and down to the floor and also screw the Acro's top and bottom to stop them twisting. Be careful not to overtighten as you don't want to lift it all, just support it.

Don't expect them to be walking on the joists, they must have a FLOOR. 19mm loft flooring boards with tonge & groove edges so they interlock. Screwed to the joists. If there are two guys like me in the same place, you'd want to double up on the boards. There should also be a handrail at the loft hatch entry, even if it's temporary. Workplaces have to be safe.

Sponsored Links
as they will be systematically working around the loft and to the hatch an easilly adaptable and moved safe surface would be best perhaps 10 or 13ft scaffold board
perhaps 6 so they can be arranged and easily moved to form walkways or perhaps 3 side by side for a 27" /700mm work area or any combination you can think off

off course support mid span underneath to stop sag as said above

Last edited:
Why do you think it's your job to carry out this level of baby-sitting to contractors whose daily job it is to crawl round lofts hoovering up poop?

If I called in some roofers, I wouldn't put the scaffold up for them and tell them to only step on battens that were nailed down; I would expect them to (have) erect(ed) a scaffold they were happy with and scamper round the roof as experience (or whatever) has taught them to do!

Why do you think it's your job to carry out this level of baby-sitting to contractors whose daily job it is to crawl round lofts hoovering up poop?

If I called in some roofers, I wouldn't put the scaffold up for them and tell them to only step on battens that were nailed down; I would expect them to (have) erect(ed) a scaffold they were happy with and scamper round the roof as experience (or whatever) has taught them to do!
That's a good point. I got an engineer's assessment as they were carrying out an inspection on the building anyway. But I will bounce it back to the contractors and see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back